Submit your email address to get a link for quick download on your desktop and get started!
When working with systems and devices that use the RS232 communication, an RS232 Sniffer can be very useful. A serial port sniffer provides the ability to monitor full-duplex communication passively, meaning it does not impact system performance. The information returned by a COM port sniffer can be used to diagnose and troubleshoot issues in serial communication and allow you to verify that your devices are capable of high-quality serial data transfer.
You may have some questions regarding the use of a serial sniffer that need to be resolved before you implement the solution. Here is a brief overview of serial sniffing:
1. Download, install and launch COM Port Monitor.
2. Choose “Session >>> New session” from the main menu. You can also use the keyboard shortcut “CTRL+N” or click “New” on the main toolbar.
3.The “New monitoring session” window will open.
Make your selection of the visualizers that will be used to display data during the monitoring session. The choices are:
Use the checkboxes designated as “Start monitoring now” and “Start in new window” to control the initiation of your new monitoring session.
Capture options: select the options you want to be monitored during the session from these choices: Create/Close,
Read/Write, and Device Control.
After setting the options begin monitoring in the new session by clicking the “Start monitoring” button.
4. A new monitoring window will be opened using the visualizers you previously selected.
In the Status bar tune the settings you need.
Serial/modem control lines state:
Serial Port Sniffer displays line levels graphically via colored circles. A green circle indicates a high line level with a red circle standing for a low level. An undetermined state is specified by a gray circle.
5. Save a session by choosing “Session >>> Save session/Save session As” from the main menu. You can also use the CTRL+S keyboard shortcut or click “Save” on the main toolbar.
6. Select a file name when prompted by the application. You can make use of this file to reload it for later analysis or to continue the monitoring session.
As you can see, the COM Port Sniffer for Windows can be instrumental in solving serial communication problems in many different industries. The tool can save time and money for developers of serial applications and devices.
It can be challenging to implement an RS232 sniffer in the absence of a quality tool. Luckily, Eltima Software has you covered with a comprehensive and intuitive serial port sniffer tool that will effectively address your serial communication issues.